Coming up Wednesday

Wildfires burn through Colorado causing thousands to evacuate, and protests in Turkey are in 13th day. Tune in at 7am ET.
March 20th, 2012

Dad says son was scared by TSA patdown

It's a video that has gone viral on the web with over 980,000 hits on YouTube: A 3-year-old in a wheelchair, patted down by the TSA. It happened in 2010, but his dad – Chicago radio personality Matt Dubiel – posted it over the weekend after looking through old family videos.

Matt talks with Soledad O'Brien this morning on "Starting Point" to explain what happened, and why he chose to upload the video now.

He tells Soledad his son had a broken leg and could barely stand. And though the TSA agent was cautious with the child, he says his son was still scared by the experience.

The TSA has since changed the way it screens passengers under 12 years of age.

Filed under: Viral video
  1. Chiku

It looks like the child was being used for practical training. What was up with all the swabbing?

March 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. PhilG

I guess if someone had placed a bomb under the kids chair that would be o.k.

The reason you people will die is because all of you do not take your own security seriously.

When the T.S.A. misses the bomb that kills your wife and kids or your parents who are flying up to see you,don't complain.

At least the child was momentarily happy before a bomb blew the plane to pieces.

I have no such desire to die in a exploded jet.

Check all the kids if you have too.

I can wait.

March 21, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Why Me

Shame! Shame!! Shame!!! WAY TO GO TSA!!!!

March 21, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Brad L

3 years ago when traveling to Colorado we had flight issues and were rerouted so we had to go through security 3 times ... by the 3rd time of being picked out for a hand search my 8 yr old son said "WOW! ANOTHER FREE MASSAGE" and everyone in the security area started cracking up.

March 21, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • shane

LOL!!!! You made my day with that one!

March 21, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Tom

Learn the lessons of Vietnam! "No one has ever been killed by a 3 year old."......guess again!! I stood on the fantail of my boat and watched a 3 yearold blow himself and 6 Marines all over the pier in 1970! I saw a "mamasan" toss a 3 yearold to a soldier who caught the child and promptly exploded the handgrenade the 3 yeard old was holding. Don't tell me "children" are NOT dangerous.....not when I've had friends maimed, dismembered and killed by those same "children"!!

March 21, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill

Totally agree. Making children off-limits to security procedures will make them the perfect vehicle for smuggling weapons. People in this country seem to go nuts whenever a kid is involved. Use common sense. Pat them down like everyone else.

March 21, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mei

Random pat downs of children are uncalled for. If the TSA would use profiling, like they do in every other country that has dealt with terrorism longer than the US has, it would not have this problem of targeting innocent citizens. Children are innocent even if they have a bomb in their hand, anyway, as it is the adults who put the bomb in the child's hand. So your example isn't really helping here.

March 21, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Tom,
      I was in viet nam also, and know the truth of what you say. My question to you is how you can relate a war zone to a US airport. I think the TSA was irresponsible to search this 3 year old. I respect your view, but disagree. This situation did not take place in a war zone.

March 21, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Taylor

How can any of you say that??? It could be the 3 year olds parents who put something on him. Of course THAT would never happen though, would it?! Big deal, so the kid got patted down, I didn't see him crying, screaming or even look a little bit scared. How about it's all of the adults who are putting the fear into the children about why they should be scared and why they shouldn't be put through the same rules as everyone else, hmmm? Children are NOT exempt!

March 22, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. L Rivas

The TSA must follow procedures, using the so called common sense may cause mistakes that will kill hundreds going on vacation. Some people that practice Islam are evil enough to use children to carry explosives on their body. They use women and children to achieve their objective to blow up an airplane and kill 300 people. Try to recall that Palestinians sent children wearing a vest to a cafe trying to kill Israelis and American tourists.

March 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • neutral

Stop targetting muslims Mr. L Rivas. If you look at the stats, 1 in every 7 Christian has committed a big crime vs. 1 in every 18 muslim. This does not mean that all Christians are bad. There are bad apples everywhere. If you have nothing nice to say and cannot respect humankind, I suggest you don't comment.

March 21, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • BB

Speak for yourself 'not all Christians are bad'. Christians and Muslims alike could crack at any time that they believe 'God' gave them a command to do something heinous. They are all human-bombs waiting to go off. They are ALL potential monsters.

March 21, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mei

I don't know where you get your numbers from but those are incorrect. The majority of Christians are NOT violent and have done more charity in the world than any other religion.

March 21, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. 6foot2sf

I feel that perception makes this unfortunate but when did the personal believes of terrorist rule out including their family members as part of their plans to create harm and chaos.

March 21, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. md

America might have killed Osama Bin Laden , and stopped terrorism at home, but our freedom is lost forever.
    It is a shame we have got to the point such as this.

March 21, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. kj

Who cares? This kind of article belongs on fox where manufactured outrage belongs.

March 21, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mei

That doesn't make sense. It is the liberals who are making the TSA punish innocent citizens and not properly profile at the airports.

March 21, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Lindalou

finding out this is from 2010 makes me think it wasn't as traumatizing to the little boy as it looks. It was inappropriate, unnecessary but travel does come with a price. TSA workers need to use common sense..instincts should be listened to. Did this guy's instincts make him suspicious?

March 21, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Tired of Drama

What an idiot. Why post a video of your son getting a TSA pat down that occured in 2010 after procedures were changed. Hey Dad are you enjoying your 15 minutes of fame at your son's expense??

March 21, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • barbara

You are so right. If I were getting on a plane I wouldn't care who or what was patted down, better than have a plane explodeing whith me in it

March 21, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Trisha

The kid doesn't look scared to me. And everyone is right...adults can and will hide bombs or whatever in a little kid. Where there's a will, there's a way. Nothing wrong with extra screening and they were nice about it.

March 21, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. gilbert

I personally dont see anything wrong with it, for security and safety it should be acceptable. Get a life!, If you think the constitutution/your rights/ whatever ammendments or whatever you might think off is being violated go live in another country were I can guarantee that you wont be as safe as you are here. Ive seen people trying to hide drugs, bomb making material under their kids clothes so this counter security measure on my standards is acceptable. Crybabies!

March 21, 2012 at 9:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • WhatUSee

Really??? You've SEEN people 'trying to hide drugs and bomb making material under their kids' clothes'?? Did you report it to authorities?? Strange that it didn't make the news.... Your post is outlandish.

March 21, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • John

I fly quite often, and yes, I have been in the TSA line and watched people in front of me be taken out of line for drugs and weapons. A man I travelled with was pulled from line for a 9" long pair of bread scissors. You never know who has contraband.

March 21, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristin

We have the technology to check if someone has explosives in their body without doing the patdown and doing this on a 3 yr old is stupid. We are just reactive and with all the money and the technology we have do we really need to do pat down on a kid?

March 21, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ryan

You obviously do not have children, otherwise you would understand

March 21, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. EJ

This is not a big deal. The child looked fine and at any time if it was a problem the parent could have stopped the search or better yet put the camera down and helped keep his child calm, by reassuring him he was okay. Everyone is talking about loss of Rights, there is no loss of rights because it's a routine search. The child was fine and everyone is safe. I would rather be searched than DIE from lack of security measures. Oh by the way this was 2 years ago! The dad forgot about the video until he was searching through old family items. Give me a break.

March 21, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. DAVID

If you do not approve of being pat down or frisked for the sake of security, take a bus to travel, drive or walk. These people are flying voluntarily. This is not a mandatory event, it is only mandatory if you ELECT to travel by plane. Conform, and move on. Remember people, this is for everyone's safety. This reactionary because of terrorism.

March 21, 2012 at 7:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sun

Nice thought David, how about if there is a family emergency across the country? Why should we be held hostage by our own government just to use a PRIVATE, not a government service?

March 21, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • BlowbacksAbzznitch

You sure must surely believe in the Orwellian ideas of book '1984'. Everything for the state. protect the state at all cost. the state should know all and the individual does not exist only the state. Yes he is taking a plane and that is his voluntary action but what happens when you have to be pat down to get on a bus, or walk down a street, or get into your own car? This is the first step and it is called conditioning. Once you give up your right to protect yourself and subsidize it to others you can never get it back. This is what our founding fathers warned us about. This is why we stopped Hitler. You cannot give liberty away for security, once you do this there is not turning back because the thought of liberty no longer exists. Terrorists don't want to kill us because of our freedom, they want to kill us because we go into their countries, blow up their houses, schools, business, and families. Tell them what to think, wear, and do and then we expect them not to get angry? I know for a fact that if ANY OTHER NATION ever did to us what we have been doing to them for 40 years, you as an American would kill ever single son of a B!tch you could! YOU would not hesitate to give your life away to protect your way of life, so why do we expect nothing less from them? It seems to me that Americans have lost the ability to think for themselves and ask questions. That we follow our leaders blindly off the cliff and get angry at them when we should be looking inside ourselves and ask "How would it feel if someone did that to me" instead of "We can do what we want because we believe we are correct"

March 21, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • SayGoodbyeToFreedom

Wait a minute . . . I'm confused. Aren't the troops fighting for our "freedom" . . . and yet . . . we still have lost the 4th Amendment to protect INNOCENT people (and apparently children/minors) of illegal searches and seizures. Just because I buy an airline ticket to fly doesn't mean a Judge signed a search warrant to x-ray me for "suspected" whatever. I am not a criminal, a terrorist and neither are our senior citizens, are minor children . . . and yet we are treated as such. And it's amazing how the placid cows just go through the x-ray machines.

What these people don't get is that they are a SUSPECT and are okay with that. Their freedoms are eroded . . . gone . . . non-existent. So why are troops dying for our "freedom"?!?!? We have none.

March 22, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  16. john smith

Get over it babys and kids can be terrorist to.

March 21, 2012 at 3:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. ya no

Does the Patriot Act prohibit common sense? I was under the impression that groping 3 year-olds was illegal. This scene would be, and should be, fodder for a tragi/comedy skit.

March 21, 2012 at 3:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. JD

As much as I understand how the little boy felt, I think the dad should try to look at it from a different angle. Kids at that age wouldn't be able to construct and conceal a bomb, but there are some messed up adults out there who can. And who's to say they wouldn't be above concealing that bomb on a child? Cut TSA some slack. It's an uncomfortable situation for everyone involved. However, it's better to be safe than sorry in the end.

March 21, 2012 at 2:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. harry

Paranoia |ˌparəˈnoiə|
    noun
    a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality.
    • suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification:

The American are suffering from PARANOIA. First it was the Russians, the communism, Viet Congs etc etc and now the Islamophobia all in the name of National Security. The fact is the geographic location of USA is in itself a very secure place as no country in the world can attack it, nor any country has attached it in the past.

We should fear our own Senators and Congressmen who have created this paranoia. Have mercy on all of us Americans who will ow live in fear for ever. Thank you Mr. Bush, Chaney and Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz. (TSA – The Scary Agency)

March 21, 2012 at 2:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. mac

Will the day ever come, when people just realize a security checkpoint at an airport isn't a screening for a ride at Disney Land? Young, In the Middle and Old.....you're going to get screened.....deal with it. My son's visit to the Dentist was scary too....actually, so wasn't his first haircut – doesn't mean I'm going to post a video to feed the idea it was an evil event.

March 21, 2012 at 12:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Jt_flyer

Scared huh? Get over it.

March 20, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Frank!

PERV ALERT!!!

Really???? A three-year-old????

March 20, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Doug

Nothing wrong with this!!! Don't fly if you don't want a patdown!!! Explosives or dangerous instruments can be smuggled anywhere. Judging from the likes of people who use terror, everything is in play, and everything and everyone should be screened!!! No discretion should be allowed by TSA. They are doing their job protecting us!!!!!

March 20, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. TheRationale

Ah, keeping us safe from those nefarious toddlers...

March 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Mike Scott

I get so tired of these articles. Is this to say that a terrorist isn't capable of using a 3-year old child? I think not.

March 20, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. peter

There is NOTHING wrong with this whatsoever. Terrorists have no regard for life and have demonstrated that they are willing to use children to murder. STOP complaining already. They have a job to do. Let them do it.

March 20, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. tankboy

I got the TSA "grab and Tickle" myself just a couple weekends ago. I'm a Bronze Star recipient, you'd think that would make me one of the good guys. My two hip replacements say otherwise.

March 20, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. TheRationale

At least the terrorists didn't win...right?

March 20, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. SomeDude

Sorry, as sad as it is, this is the world we live in. If, God forbid, a terrorist used a child to hide explosives in a child's cast (how, I don't know, but just play along), and succeeded, then people would bash the TSA for not doing their job. TSA is in lose-lose situation.

If they did this to my son, I would understand why. I'd hate the hell out of it, but I would understand. This guy needs to get past his emotions.

March 20, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. John

What is the issue with this patdown? I think that TSA had to do what was required, you never know what a crazy terrorist will do to accomplish his killing mission, if that means hiding bombs inside the cast of his own child then that is what it would take, I second the patdown done here, it is necessary under the current state of our world.

March 20, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Dick Masse

More power to the security people at all our airports!. A couple of thoughts: 1) The only way this event is going to affect this young man is if his parents keep making it a big deal. If they don't, he won't even remember it a month from now. Also, if you think the terrorists wouldn't stoop to hiding a bomb on a small, disabled child, you're being very naive. After watching this video, I APPLAUD the security measures taken and I feel safer knowing that this is being done!

March 20, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Michael Zettler

Unfortunate a 3 year old or person in wheel chair must be searched but terrorists would have no problem hiding bombs under such persons. A terrorist could hid explosives under a child without the parents even knowing it.

March 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. larissa

My husband, our 4 month old (at the time) son and I travelled to Sweden to visit my parents in January, 2012. I brought along frozen breastmilk to feed our little guy and got all kinds of heck for it. In Chicago, I was subjected to a full-body pat down (while holding our SLEEPING baby). Further, the TSA agent said that our son would also need a pat down. I guess our 4 month old soundly sleeping looked suspicious??? Give me a break! Since TSA requires same gender pat downs, the agent, who embarassed me beyond belief, was a woman and she asked her male co-worker to give our son the pat down. He scoffed and refused, mumbling something about "it's just a baby". Too bad the female TSA agent didn't see it the same way. She had to make sure our 4 MONTH OLD wasn't hiding anything dangerous in his hoodie...WHILE HE WAS SLEEPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 20, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Chuck

Last year, TSA found a handgun in a baby's car seat at Portland, Oregon's airport. Obviously, it wasn't the baby's gun. But, it was still there. Nothing can be exempt.

March 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. The Motley Sage

I understand the father's displeasure. However, he is a bit naive about present-day society.

While toddlers themselves aren't putting together explosives and hiding weapons on themselves....adults can use toddlers to transport explosives and weapons. Sad, but true. If a terrorist that wants to find a way to get "WMD" beyond a TSA checkpoint, and they see that TSA is letting kids walk straight through without too much scrutiny, they WILL find a way to use a child to get their WMDs through.

9/11 had a tremendous impact on how we travel and security. This father has to deal with it or travel by the family van. Besides, the checking process wasn't THAT bad.

March 20, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. bill

Then don't fly your kid. What if the agent didn't pat down and dad planted explosives on his 3 year old. We live in a sick world. I could happen. Think that agent enjoys his job? I doubt it. I'm grateful they're there.

March 20, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • blaqb0x

I heard AlQueda once thought of making toddlers swallow explosive devices. Let's make everyone throw up before they get on a plane.

March 21, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Paul

Why is this news? To keep our airways safe EVERYONE should be checked. In Vietnam they used Children to carry bombs....Do they think people are any different today. As long as the customer is treated in a respectable manner EVERYONE needs to be searched

March 20, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. ren

The passengers would have been more scared if a bomb had been hidden in the kids wheelchair or leg cast. The kid survived the "pat-down", so why is the dad making a deal out of it now? Maybe $$$$? Keep on searching us TSA, anybody who complains is suspicious in my mind.

March 20, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Larry

This is why there's a Hell.

March 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Cecil

I get "extra screening "every time I go through TSA because i had a knee replacement. people complain because it happens to them once?? come on grow up!

March 20, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Hooplaa

I'd rather see them screen everyone instead of someone getting through to my plane that shouldn't have. You think people won't hide something on a kid when they know you wont check them? Come on people. Oh and that boy looks so scared in that photo.

March 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Nusiance

This is probably one of the most asinine things I have seen yet! What is it about wheel chairs – first old ladies and now a 3 year old child. Are they suspect because of the wheel chair? The wheel chair probably belonged to the airport and they are treating it like it is a weapon wiping it and the boy's hands down. Stupid TSA!!!

March 20, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Gurl

What will really be scary is not patting down people and a terrorist ends up on your flight. Guess I don't need to provide the after though (rhetorical question)?

March 20, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Cesar B

So you are saying terrorist don't use kids? look if something happens and we find out that kids were used, the same individuals who are "outraged" would be equally "outraged" that enough wasn't done to prevent this. it is a random search people. the agent doesn't pick and chose who to pat down. in addition, take a lesson from Israel everyone who goes to Israel is interviewed. their practices come from experience.

March 20, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Chacko

TSA is doing their Job and you can't be critical about a guy doing his job. He was nlot rude and did not take the child away form the parents. Hey you can always explain things to a three year old child and they will understand. Not a big deal.

March 20, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Calvin Hobbes

Do we really want to be funding retirement with our taxes for these Federal workers?

March 20, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Cheryl Trindle

It's a shame our world is so evil that we have to go through such stringent degrees to keep our USA safe, but wouldn't have been terrible if some terriost had planted something on this child or the chair and blew up many innocent people including this family... I will never complain at he airport for searches that are upright and keeping me safe.

March 20, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Cynthia R

Drive him next time! If your on a airplane with me, I want you searched.

March 20, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  49. macnasty

That little boy was not scared and what better place for an adult to hide stuff if need be. The TSA guy did a thorough and yet courteous job.

March 20, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Momof2

He was scared?! You know what will scare the kid more, when terrorist take over his plane and kill him and his family. I never understand the fuss people make over airline screening. Please feel free to check me out, do a full cavity search on everyone on my plane including me, as long as my flight is safe i dont care the amount of inconvenience myself and other passengers have to suffer through. As a mom i would explain to my child that they had to search him to keep us all safe.

March 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  51. JACK KASPER

THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVE TSA RISK THEIR LIVES EVERY DAY SO THAT THEY MAY SAVE OURS.
    NO ONE LIKES TO SEE A CHILD PATTED DOWN BUT KILLERS(TERRORISTS) WOULD NOT THINK TWICE ABOUT
    USING A CHILD, A PREGNANT WOMAN, A TEENAGER, A DYING PERSON OR AN ANIMAL TO CAUSE HARM TO
    A PLANE AND THE PEOPLE IN IT. I RESPECT THE FACT THAT SINCE 911, TSA OFFICERS HAVE PREVENTED
    LOSS OF LIVE. WITH HUMILITY I SALUTE THESE BRAVE AMERICANS. JACK KASPER

March 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  52. kathleen

I am a former TSA agent. Please don't blame the screeners. They are only doing what they are told to by the higher ups. I quit because of bad management, forced overtime ,no time off and bad working conditions.. But the issue of patting down a 3 year old should not be in question. Travelers undre the age of 50 probably don't remember vietnamese women putting live grenades in baby carrages with their babies and blowing them up when servicemen were near. Don't for the Talban ,not to long ago sent 2 mentally challenged young women into a crowdeds area with explosives wrapped around their waist , as suicide bombers. The Taliban will use any means to kill us. If the enemy knows or thinks we won't check our kids, then the children would be a great place to hide plastic explosives, weapons etc. Maybe the enemy has one of their family members hostage somewhere and is forcing the family to hide something on the child. Whwn I worked there at EWR, my responsibility was not only to screen passengers, but to think like the bad guy...and figure how they may get something through the security. Parents need to realize that their chilren are going to be checked.. More attention needs to be given on the parents explaining to their children what is going to happen at the airport. Believe me, I got no pleasure in checking a womens breast area, or scaring a child. But the bad guy doesn't care how ar who it uses or kills in order to strike terror in Americans, adults or children.

March 20, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  53. King

What a dumb complaint. Guy says "3 yr olds can't make bombs...". but their parents can and hiding them on 3 yr olds to get them through security would be a great way to do it. The kid wasn't crying or anything. suck it up, dad. Getting screened through security is part of air travel- get used to it. People will complain about everything.

March 20, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  54. Huh?

This happened in 2010. Rules have changed. Why, in heavens name, is this news? It was hyped on the local news here in Chicago. It was almost two years ago.

March 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  55. ruth

The TSA is disgusting....what is wrong with these people?.....do they actually think this little boy is a terrorist.......I would have slapped that person,I would be in jail ,but I would have slapped that person.....I as an American am outraged ,this country is just getting worse by the day!!!

March 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  56. Silvio Bermudez

What a disgrace....

March 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  57. Lynda Elaine

So what he was scared. We all get scared at one time or another AND we get over it. If this kid even remembers this, it is only because his dad has made a huge deal out of nothing. Grow up, get a life and stop making something out of absolutely nothing...geez. SLOW news day at CNN and here I though Soledad was a serious journalist..guess not.

March 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  58. Concerned Citizen

This is the price that we would pay since after 911. We need to let TSA do their JOB I don't care if TSA searched Grand Ma or my infant child. I would accept the search than loose a whole bunch of people. Safety comes first. I believe that we all forgot the the type of sick people these terrorrist are. If they don't care for their lives why wouldn't they use a toddler, or an infant or a three year old child to carry out their evil act. We need to wake up. I believe in safety.

March 20, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  59. nodemocracy

Unless its police dealing with a criminal, any "pat down" by a stranger is a sexual assault.

March 20, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  60. Former TSA Officer

Having worked in the security industry for 13 years, I can say with great confidence that people will hide just about anything on a child! On a daily basis TSA officers find drugs and weapons hidden in diapers/clothing on babies, in formula bottles, in strollers and carriers and other creative places. The rules have been put in place to catch those depraved parents who have more concern for their illegal "crap" then for the well being of the children. Its a classic case of a few ruin it for the many. TSA Officers are just hard working (underpaid and unappreciated) folks doing their job and trying to keep this country safe. The proof is the number of criminals and wanted persons who are caught everyday and NOT A SINGLE PLANE HAS BEEN LOST DUE TO LACK OF SECURITY SINCE 9/11. HOW QUICKLY PEOPLE FORGET!!!!!!!!

March 20, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  61. art

Unfortunately they missed the stink bomb in his pampers

March 20, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  62. wtf

our forefathers would be horrified by the loss of our rights for " security".

March 20, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  63. Reg

I'm more concerned about the father video taping what is supposed to be a secure screening area.

March 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  64. wade

Simple solution. If this upsets you, drive.

March 20, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  65. jack

wow this dad is an idiot, people can place bombs on kids hello... ugh

March 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  66. donn edmunds

It is totally disgraceful how these TSA naxis conduct themselves most are uneducated idiots who if not for TSA would be minuamum wayge earners because they have nio marketable skills
    why is the government allowed to com[pete with private interprise any way
    America is becoming tired of how our government treats its small business owners

March 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  67. Todd

Unfortunately we live in a world where terrorist would use their own children as living bombs if they thought they would get threw security unchecked. So we really must decide... Should we lessen security and face the risks of an other attack or treat everyone age/race/religion the same and check everyone.

March 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  68. Kris M

What happens if a terrorist actually uses his disabled child to transport b*&bs? TSA will have to take the blame. They should probably come with another/better way of checking. But I don't see anything wrong with what TSA did here. Coming to part where the kid was scared, yes, he will be, any kid would be, normal or disabled. Sorry.

Cheap tactics of parents to get two minutes of online stardom, it will never stop. Next!

March 20, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  69. ThinkFirst

I sympathize with the parents and the child and the TSA has certainly gone too far in many cases and maybe in this one. But if the TSA only searches people who might be terrorists we forget that terrorists will gladly take advantage of this and use a child and his wheel chair, an elderly person, or anyone not being searched as a tool smuggle on what they need.

March 20, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  70. Sommer Gentry

Totally unacceptable. Strangers putting their hands down a little boy's pants? This is assault, it's terrorizing an innocent child, and we need to stand together and put a stop to the TSA's abuse once and for all. TSA, get out of our airports!

March 20, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Get a Clue

This is NOT unacceptable. People try to find clever ways all of the time to try to do things. So if you got on a flight and a crazed bomber got on the flight with you and their kid had explosives in their diaper, you mean to tell me that you'd be okay with dying because they smuggled the explosives in a diaper that wasn't allowed to be checked? You obviously don't travel much. Did you not hear about the underwear bomber or the girl that smuggled crack in her hair? It needs to be done – get a clue!

March 21, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Taylor

Couldn't have said it better myself!

March 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Jim Rousch

Do you enjoy your sense of security so much that you are willing to sacrifice this three-year-old's right to be free?

March 20, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse | Reply