Coming up Wednesday

Wildfires burn through Colorado causing thousands to evacuate, and protests in Turkey are in 13th day. Tune in at 7am ET.
March 28th, 2012

What does forgiveness mean to you? Share your comments here.

Today, Bishop T.D. Jakes is on "Starting Point with Soledad O’Brien" to talk about his new book "Let It Go: Forgive so you can be forgiven" (Atria Books).

In preparation for his interview, we want to hear from you.

Do you have problems "letting it go"? What does forgiveness mean to you? Do you think people know what it means to forgive?

Share your answers in the comments section and they may be included in the show.

Filed under: Forgiveness
  1. Betty Kiel

I too, have had a problem with forgiveness.... Daily I must say a prayer which includes the words “It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.” But, God gave me a prayer that tells me exactly that.

But in some cases, such in the cases of slavery and oppression that some groups have suffered– it is hard to forgive. And I believe that God will be the final judge of forgiveness. Just as he wept, I believe forgiveness is divine and a work in progress that a lot of us struggle with each day. And seeing things that are happening to minorities (not just Blacks) and the hatred shown toward them, believe me, it would definitely have to be God's call, because these are definitely atrocities. I think God will be the final judge. I also feel that just because you might forgive a beloved person for something that they have done, or have not done does not mean you want to include them in your familiar circle. I believe that is an excellent rule of thumb in the realm of forgiveness.

Sincerely,

Betty Kiel
    “7” Copyrighted

March 28, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. mark1111

I've had to go through 8 years of a lot of anger, and sometimes hate, to finally forgive certain people that caused severe damage to me and my family, which none of us caused or did anything to be a part of.
    The law can't or won't touch them, because of a lot of factual evidence being lost at the time. And I've had to finally let a lot of that go, through forgiveness. What I don't do is...ignore the life lessons I've learned behind it all: KEEP THE RADARS UP...the same types of personalities come into my life less and less, but they don't do anything anymore...BE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHO I LET INTO MY LIFE...and ALWAYS WALK IN ANOTHER'S SHOES...GRATEFUL, GRATEFUL, GRATEFUL.

March 28, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. iz1607

i love you soledad! lol ok, forgiveness is something that can only take place when there is justice. getting hit in the face and forgiving that person is a lot different that forgiving someone who savagely guns down your son in the streets and then attemps to paint the victim as the savage!. justice has to preceed forgiveness in cases like this.

March 28, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Letithia owens

Forgiveness is when you have excepted something one has done or said but that does not mean you want forget and if you have truly forgiven it should not be talked about again.

March 28, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Latisha

Forgiveness for me has a lot to do with grace and putting yourself in the other person's shoes. We all want to be given a fair shot, a second chance, and to be forgiven. Unforgiveness is too heavy a weight to carry around. Be free and let it go!

March 28, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Z'ev Hadash

Forgiveness is one of the purest forms of love, second only to the love a mother feels for a child. It takes a great deal of love to truly forgive another person's transgression against you, even if it means sacrificing your feelings for the greater good of any relationship.

March 28, 2012 at 7:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Leatriana England

Thinking that you have forgiven can be dangerous. Sometimes, I feel that I have let go and forgiven,its when the subject comes up and bring tears to my eyes I realize I have not let go.

I want to forgive and let go, but cannot understand why it still hurts.

March 28, 2012 at 7:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Pamela

To be alble to let go of anger and resentment and to move forward.

March 28, 2012 at 7:35 am | Report abuse | Reply