Coming up Wednesday

Wildfires burn through Colorado causing thousands to evacuate, and protests in Turkey are in 13th day. Tune in at 7am ET.
June 18th, 2012

Get Real! Teacher tells students to hit bully to teach them why bullying is bad

A teacher in a San Antonio suburb allegedly tells students to hit a 6-yr-old "bully" to show why bullying is bad.

Filed under: Get Real
  1. rob jack

There should be a process in place to stop a a bully's reign of terror. It should be put into writing and law because bullying only seems to escalate as the child grows. Right now, I don't see this happening. It is a real problem. Leading to feelings of shame, suicide and horrible retaliations with deadly implications.

June 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Patrick

This kind of dysfunctional discipline happened on a regular basis at the Catholic grammar school I attended in Chicago in the 1960s and 70s.

June 20, 2012 at 10:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • BB

@Patrick – A Catholic school? Saying it's dysfunctional and that it allows the abuse of children is a bit redundant then, isn't it.

June 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Billy Bob

From my experience with bully's, you have to let them know youre not going to take it and you can dish it back out to them for them to back down. Bully's only bully those that they can bully. Lets be real, Bullying has always been around and is around. It's not going anywhere it's just gone from the classroom & play grounds to Facebook, youtube & twitter.

June 19, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Captain USMC

I am quite familiar with this case. The child in question has been effectively "written up" numerous times (in excess of 10 times) in the past due to their bullying behavior. The school district went so far as to send the child to a therapist to reach the underlying issues surrounding the bullying behavior. (Bad apples don't fall far from the tree.) Where was the parent's outrage then? The child was not "hit", "struck", "slapped", "punched" or otherwise "beaten" as CNN has implied. The child was tapped by all 24 in the class to demonstrate a point. If you are going to bully – eventually there will be reprocussions....sometimes they are even uncomfortable reprocussions. If the parent is going to fail to be a parent and properly discipline their child, then don't be surprised when Clinton's "villiage" takes it apun themselves to restore order. So spare me your slef-indulgent outrage....

June 19, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • John L. Slomko

Having owned and taught the maritial arts for years with my own school, I have come across many children at the time that were getting bullied. My answer was hit them back just harder, they will only prey on you if you let them. It is not wrong to defend yourself and even if your parents tell you no to defend yourself, I think thats wrong. There is a time and place for it. Its called self-preservation. My sons friend was taking lessons from me and was getting bullied, I told him if he bothered you again kick him in the thigh. He did and they became friends, its sad to imagine but when you get even with a bully his thinking changes.

June 19, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Chris

I couldn't agree more. What I've seen over the years is that we have added an undue level of consequence for standing up for oneself or on behalf of someone else. This has allowed the victimization of children and adults alike. Our youth are victims because they are taught to be victims. They are not taught to see value in themselves or others, they are taught to be inferior. The end result ends up being that some children are taught to be victims, while other children are not taught anything which is where the bullying starts.

As for this particular punishment, it was completely warranted. This is something any teacher or parent from my generation would have done. I remember when I was five I bit a girl on the arm, and her mother held me down and let that kid take a shot at me. When I told me mom she simply said, "Good! That'll teach you not to harm someone who isn't harming you." I then received another beating to make sure the lesson sunk in.

There is nothing cruel or unusual about enforcing consequences when a child is behaving violently toward another student. But the opposite is also true. We have to teach our kids to stand up for themselves, which means I would just as easily encourage a bullied child to stand their ground, even if it meant that got scuffed up a bit. We American's are so afraid of skins fights, they happen.

June 21, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • CarmenSo

If the problem was that bad the child should have been expelled.

June 20, 2012 at 7:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. ripplejb

Teacher has no right to hit bully. Govt. should teach bully lesson by sending them to prison for 10 years or let media go after him/her. What t f....huh
    Bullying is normal and nothing wrong with it. Tell weak kids to get stronger to handle bullying. Bullying issue is getting out of control where as it is not even an issue. What kind of solution is this ? If you find weakness in society, destroy strength to give dignity to weak. Bullying happen because some kids are weak. Give them strength, give them confidence and teach them to love themselves will save them from bullying. DO NOT go after bullies.

June 19, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. keltari

So here is what was accomplished:

1) Teachers will lose jobs
    2) Lawsuits against the school and teacher
    3) Kids now think hitting is acceptable
    4) A bully will learn that its OK to bully as long as you are not bullied back

Am I missing anything?

June 18, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Frank S

Let's not rush to judgement here. So ordering classmates to line up and punch the alleged bully may have been a little extreme, especially if the parent had not been offered an opportunity to handle the bully problem first.

However, bullies usually need some more extreme action in order to jolt them back to reality. Is the parent in denial or enabling the bullying behavior? That's a problem. Lining up and taking a punch may have to be taken off the table, but we need to see some peer group organized response if the bully's parents do not handle the issue timely.

June 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply