Coming up Wednesday

Wildfires burn through Colorado causing thousands to evacuate, and protests in Turkey are in 13th day. Tune in at 7am ET.
September 4th, 2012

VIDEO: Tea Party Express's Amy Kremer says President Obama doesn't 'love America the way we do'

In a feisty exchange on "Starting Point" this morning, Tea Party Express's Amy Kremer explains why she believes President Obama doesn't "love America the way we do."

For more, get the rush transcript after the jump below.

RUSH TRANSCRIPT:

O'BRIEN: Amy, let me ask you a question. Because someone sent to me this tweet - I swear to God I can't see anything anymore - that you sent out at the end of August at 10:55 p.m. "Huge difference between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama is that Mitt loves America. We need a president that loves this country." I think that's from - I missed this one, but someone forwarded it to me.

Do you think that President Obama doesn't love this country? What does that mean?

KREMER: I think that he is more about a global - being a global - oh, what's the word? Being more one world, global, with you know other countries and it's not about the shining city on the hill, the greatness that has always been America that our founding fathers were about. I do believe that. I - I mean, I absolutely believe it. I'm not going to run from that.

Look, I mean, President Obama, and I know I'm going to take a lot of heat for this, but he's never run anything. Mitt Romney, you asked me what is the case for Mitt Romney, Mitt Romney time and time again has taken companies that are failing and turned them around to make them successful.

I mean, he turned the Salt Lake City Olympics around. He ran the state of Massachusetts. Because what I'm saying is we are - we are failing. We are about to go off this fiscal cliff. And we need somebody that can turn it around.

President Obama has not turned it around. I'm sorry he hasn't -

NUTTER: But the Governor has also - but the Governor has also taken over companies and put people out of work. At the expense of losing jobs and making money for himself and for his investors. If you're going to tell one side of the story, tell the other side.

KREMER: I mean and you know and President Obama's energy policy, if it's - and in President Obama's energy policy if it's implemented, it's going to cost - I mean let me see. I have the numbers right here because I'm not very good with numbers. But it's going to cost us 7.3 million jobs by 2020. And $1 trillion in compliance costs between 2020 and 2030.

(CROSSTALK)

O'BRIEN: I just never understand what any of that has to do with loving the nation. I mean, I honestly, I always feel like that's a code word for something else.

(CROSSTALK)

KREMER: I just I mean, I don't feel like he is -

NUTTER: What is the basis for questioning the President's love for this country? How can you say that?

KREMER: I just I don't believe that he loves America the way that we do.

NUTTER: Based on what? We who?

KREMER: He is more about one world - I mean more about -

NUTTER: What does that mean?

KREMER: I just explained it to you.

NUTTER: Well, clearly, I'm not understanding.

KREMER: Well, I mean, don't know how else to explain it.

LIZZA: His foreign policy - his foreign policy that you look at it and say, oh that's Obama wants America to be gone and he wants one world?

KREMER: I mean we are not leading. We're waiting on others to tell us what to do. That's never been the American way.

LIZZA: What specifically? What specifically?

KREMER: I believe it was Syria. Was it Syria that or one of the conflicts where we - the French told us we could go and do what we needed to do. Were - that's - that's not the American way. We need to lead.

NUTTER: Well, maybe this is America now.

KREMER: But this is the thing the foreign policy - it's not about foreign policy we're never all going to agree on foreign policy. But why the Tea Party Movement has been so successful is because of the fiscal responsibility.

LIZZA: I think what you're saying is leading from behind, right?

KREMER: Yes.

LIZZA: So I was the journalist that actually reported that quote. So the leading from behind is something that was told to me. And actually, what it refers to is the strategy in the UN, the U.S. led a coalition in the UN to get military authorization to topple Gadhafi.

So the quote actually is the opposite of what you're saying. It actually refers to the strategy that Obama used in the UN to get all of the nations to support the U.S.'s use of force resolution because after the Bush years, it was really hard for the U.S. to go to the UN and get support because Bush was really, really unpopular.

O'BRIEN: But people didn't care about foreign policy. I guess my question is, when I hear somebody say that someone doesn't love the country, and you know I'm very susceptible to the dog whistle thing.

KREMER: The what?

O'BRIEN: That dog whistle that there is a message in that. When someone says that somebody doesn't love the country and you're talking about the President I just find that to be a very odd comment.

KREMER: I don't believe - I mean look, we're sitting - I mean we're sitting here, is our goal really in this administration to be the leader that we always have been, to be that shining city on the hill?

(CROSSTALK)

O'BRIEN: What does that have to do with love for your country? Mitt loves his country and President Obama doesn't?

KREMER: If you love this country and you want to restore our heritage and that sort of thing, you go out there and you lead. You don't wait on others to tell you what to do. And you take those bold steps. I mean, I don't think that that's what the objective of this administration is.

O'BRIEN: So I'm going to stop you there. Mr. Mayor, stop. Because I have had so many people screaming in my ear that we have so gone over. I thank you for this conversation. We've got to take a break. We're back on the other side.

1. georjia

Tea Party is two faced. You have the nerve to say Mitt was weak and not like Ronald Reagan, but the day before you sure voted for him. How disrespectful you are to your own team...shame on you!!!!!

November 10, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Jenny Ruth Yasi

This tea partyer is saying that Obama needs to lead, and not wait for permission from other countries to act. But Obama didn't ask Pakistan for permission before taking out Bin Laden. The idea that our country should simply act without cultivating international relationships, without concern for global impacts of our national policies, if this is what the Tea Party is all about, wanting America to dominate, then it furthers the idea that the Tea Party would not only want every American to have a stockpile of ammunition and weapons, but their idea of "love for our country" is like the love a jealous boyfriend feels for his girlfriend just before he kills her. This interview is evidence that Tea Partiers don't even know what love is.

September 5, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jason

Wow... oh.... wow. This is what happens when the uneducated actually believe they are intelligent.

September 5, 2012 at 4:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. 18E

Romney as Gov. of Ma. ran the state to 47th in job creation, and #1 in public debt. Romney's Bain Capital, owned Stericycle, that provided for the disposal of aborted fetus for medical centers and hospital. So it's ok to profit from abortion and be against the a woman's right to choose. When Romney had the opportunity to prove himself as a political leader, and follow through on his personal stance against abortion, he failed. Oh yes he headed the Salt lake Winter games. Heading an event whereby the global demand for was already built in. The Tea baggers act as if he invented the Olympic Winter games.

September 5, 2012 at 3:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. evensteven

More hysterical ramblings from the Tea Party . . .

September 5, 2012 at 2:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Chris

So Let me get this right, The tea party loves the country soooo much that they would rather destroy it than give a decent man a chance to change the way Washington has doing business, which has been such a success over the last thirty years, I mean no wars no unemployment countless Americans living the dream and world peace , I see what you mean wow are you proving a point on your head with America. Obama 2012

September 5, 2012 at 2:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Oscar

Wow, talk about clueless. Only thing she seems to truly understand is that she's bad with numbers (and everything else).

September 5, 2012 at 2:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. johnsampson

This woman makes America look very bad.

Duh, Duh – President Obama has never run anything. He has only been President of the United States – Duh, Duh. He doesn't believe in the shining star that America has been everything since the slavery states – duh, duh, He isn't about America, he is global duh, duh. America isn't that shining city anymore, Duh- Duh.

I is smart – duh, duh.

This woman makes America look very bad!

September 5, 2012 at 2:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. nigel6

Kremer is doing wonders for the Democratic party. I have never, ever, heard anyone so ignorant, inarticulate, and close minded on a national stage. Thank you so much for speaking your mind, what there is of it.

September 5, 2012 at 2:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. james

I mean - I mean - I mean. What does this empty babbler really mean?

September 5, 2012 at 1:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Mark

that lady from the tea party did not do justice to her party at all, very embarrassing at best. Fine if you want to believe such things, but at least select someone that can intelligently position their arguments. She could not even tell the difference between Syria and Libya. and who is she to say who does and doesn't love their country? based on what? her views? I couldn't care less what she thinks.

September 5, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Liberal Christian

This country defaulted for the first time in history because of this infiltration of this woman and her group. They are destroying America just like Joe McCarthy tried to do. He damaged a lot of lives before he was stopped. She loves this country more than The President of the United States. THIS is what turns us on the Republican Party. This type of ignorant rhetoric. The Tea Party claims to be Christian based. I am a Christian and how these people can talk ONLY about the dollar and call themselves Christians is WAY beyond what I can fathom. It's all about the Almighty Dollar. What about the babies that are born because someone didn't have an abortion? What about the "How many times do I have to be my brother's keeper.... 70 x 7 ??? OH I thought we couldn't pick and choose what was in the bible. Did any of the self professed Christian (Tea Party) Republicans really hear the words of Jesus Christ? Really??? Because I read that same Bible and what I got out of it was that money was the root of all evil. Love your neighbor. Take care of your brother. How many times? Yea, you got it! Forgive, be nice. BE ALL INCLUSIVE... How can a Christian be for a party that wants to quantify RAPE? It wasn't just one man. Paul Ryan supports a bill that quantifies rape. A lot of other Republicans do too. Do you have daughters? You have to care! The thing is... don't call yourselves Christians and claim Christ for yourself and then turn around and disregard EVERYTHING He said about "others". I'm always hearing "You can't pick and choose what's in the Bible, yet I'm seeing those who claim Him for themselves disregard all He stood for and all He told us to do. Don't tell someone not to have an abortion and then let them watch their child starve or have to put them in the trunk of their car while they work because we won't help take care of them. Don't tell someone you love them in Christ and then let them just watch their baby die because they don't have health insurance. YOU will be old someday. When that catastrophe hits and your out of vouchers... think of President Obama. Only it will be too late then. Tell your mother or father "Ooops too bad dad, we have to have money to have our fun with.... out of vouchers tough cookies." You want Big Government out of your life HA this Republican Party is crawling into every segment of your life including your bedroom. This country was founded on Religious Freedom... Not developed as a Christian Nation! Religious Freedom... we as Christians were on the wrong side of that stick at one time! Be careful, pray and VOTE.

September 5, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. KnowbodyXXL

Some Tea-Bagger questions Obama's patriotism, what else is new?

September 5, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse | Reply