Coming up Wednesday

Wildfires burn through Colorado causing thousands to evacuate, and protests in Turkey are in 13th day. Tune in at 7am ET.
September 5th, 2012

Starting Point live blog for Wednesday, Sept. 5th, 2012

NOTE: Click here if you're having trouble seeing the Starting Point live blog updates.

We've opened a live blog for "Starting Point with Soledad O'Brien" this morning, with Soledad live from the CNN grill in Charlotte, NC with a preview of the Democratic National Convention. Soledad and our Starting Point producers will be moderating.

We encourage you to share your comments, ask questions, and maybe even record a webcam response to post to the feed.

A few ground rules:

* All comments and video submissions will be moderated, so please refrain from using any inappropriate language or gestures. We want to keep this a lively, interesting conversation.
* Any webcam submissions are limited to one minute long. Try to keep your responses short.
* By posting in this live blog, you agree any comments & content with your name and profile picture may be used by CNN, its affiliates and licensees in all media. CNN.com/privacy

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mark Newsom

Democrats took Congress (both houses) in Jan 2007 and maintained until the 2010 midterm elections. President Bush submitted a budget proposal to Congress for FY 2008 which would run from 1 Oct 2007-30 Sep 2008. The Democrat Congress (both houses) passed that Budget. Even in the next FY, and the next FY, that same Congress that passed the FY08 budget were still in power. Although it it true that Congress started to turn things around, isn't it fair to say that they have just as much blame since they are the ones who passed the FY08 budget before it was sent to President Bush for signature? My point is, the problem is not limited to one individual. It was how our government was operating at that time.

September 5, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Wade

While in Charlotte you guys should look at what new homes are selling for there

September 5, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Vfrom NY

Deval Patrick was fantastic and very informative about Romney. Michelle was wonderful as always! But was one speaker who touched my heart Stacy Lihn. This what this election is really about ! The economy won't change much under either guy. But health care will. Romney going to appeal affordable care and what it will mean to many. Americans with no health insurance ones with pre- existing conditions and ones like the Lihn family . If you didnt hear her speak please google it. Stacy Lihn DNC convention and spread her words around!

September 5, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mark Newsom

I think repealing the Affordable Care Act is simply something that canot happen without a viable replacement in place. So, I take that campaign promise with a grain of salt. Until I see something in place, I don't think it will happen.

September 5, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Tia

I believe The First Lady Michelle Obama spoke elequently concerning her and her husbands hunble beginings.. However the speaker who rallied people around the cause in hand was San Antonio's Mayor Julian Castor, he molded,fashioned and sold nothing short of energentic hope in a debate for the reason to re'elect our 43rd President Of The United States,President Barack Obama...Julian Castro,gave a revived version of "The Yes We Can",of 2008 reloaded for 2012-2016

September 5, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jan

Unfortunately, we heard more of the same old Democratic talking points -- government is the solution. We heard a lot about the public sector, but very little about the private sector. We heard nothing about the record number of Americans who are dependent on food stamps and other government give a ways. That might be the strategy, though. If you can make enough people dependent on government, they will vote for you to continue those freebies coming.

I'm curious why we have heard barely anything on CNN today about the debt crossing the $16 trillion dollar mark on the watch of our current President, or about the lawsuit brought against the Obama Homeland Security Dept. regarding sexism in hiring as well as sexual harassment?

September 5, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Vfrom NY

First off Jan the debt began with Bush . Obama took over a budget he proposed. Romney has no sensible plan to reduce debt he has no specifics. In times of recession it is more important to get the economy rolling again. Obama might not be perfect but he stopped the decline . If we had Mccain we'd probably still be in Iraq, pouring more money it to it.
        This country is founded on separation of church and state and besides I heard alot of speakers mention God anyway. Jan you are spreading a bit of untruths you hear from right wing news I think.

September 5, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
      • Jan

The debt began a lot earlier than Bush. I agree that he spent too much. We never should have added another entitlement, the Medicare Drug Program. However, the fact is that the debt has exploded under Obama. He promised to cut it in half during his first term. (He made a lot of promises he hasn't kept).

As far as Mrs. Obama claiming that she and Barack have reached back to give others the opportunity to succeed like they have, I have seen no examples where they personally did that. They believe that using other people's time and money to do that is the way to go. Unlike Mitt Romney, where there are all sorts of examples of his personal involvement, generosity, humbleness, and helpfulness, we have yet to see individual people come forward with the same sort of personal testimonials about the obamas.

September 5, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark Newsom

VfromNY, so President Obama took over the Budget that Bush proposed? So who was it that passed that budget? Please explain how you come to the conclusion that "this country was founded on separation of church and state." This country was founded on the principle of religious freedom. America's birth was in 1776. "Separation of Church and State" was a used by Thomas Jefferson in 1802 in a letter he wrote to a particular group. It was later used in Supreme Court cases. Here is what the First Amendment says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." That doesn't mean I have to keep quiet so I don't offend anyone. It means I am free to exercise my religious beliefs without the Fed telling me what I can and cannot do or say.

September 5, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jan

Where were the questions to Mayor Emmanuel about the immense problems in his city? Why has he asked for federal law enforcement to step into Chicago (at taxpayer expense), yet he chose to bring 50 of his Chicago police officers to Charlotte to work at the Democratic convention? I think even the police union in Chicago is questioning the wisdom of that. Who is paying for those Chicago police officers to travel and stay in charlotte?

September 5, 2012 at 8:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mark Newsom

I agree Jan. There are so many illogical decisions and rhetoric coming out. What astounded me last night was how Mayor Castro proved that people will agree to pretty much anything that is delivered with some degree of enthusiasm. Most of what Mayor Castro said was void of any substance and yet the people were cheering it on. In regards to CNN's bias reporting, I've come to expect it. I think they periodically attempt to be non-bias but certain anchors such as Wolfe Blitzer just cannot hide their bias. Soledad occasionally tries as well. Erin Burnette is pretty fair.

September 5, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jan

So where is the media coverage of the Democratic platform? Many in the media were obsessed with the Republican platform last week, and leading up to the Republican convention, yet we have heard barely a peep about the controversial parts of the Democratic platform.
    Why was the word "God" taken out? Why take out "Jerusalem" from the platform? What about the extreme position on abortion - basically no restrictions on it including not being able to pay for one? Some of that Democratic platform is out of the mainstream (including Mr. Obama's support of partial birth abortion), yet I have heard little to nothing about it on CNN.

September 5, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. TALKINKNOWLEDGE

On people blaming the POTUS for being UNDEREMPLOYED...It's NOT Obama's fault, if people are under employed! Blame the Corporations, that are taking full advantage of the job market, by NOT paying people for their worth!

September 5, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Beverly Banks

Yes, they did make the case for Obama but I'm so sick of this negative spin media has for Obama media don't want to give him credit for anything not even the things he's done. A trillion mile journey starts with one step and we are moving FORWARD! Things are not on the brink of collapse how soon do ppl forget we're not were we going to be but we sure not were we use to be! Soledad keep saying how do ppl feel? I feeeeel much safer & secure tht more jobs will be created with Obama in office than I do Mitt Romney. Thts how a lot of ppl feeeeel!!!!!

September 5, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Max Sconyers

On the video of the family being thrown around in the boat, can someone please comment that the captain of that boat was going much too fast for the conditions. He/she obviously was inexperienced driver. Normally one boat over takes another at simply a slower speed.

September 5, 2012 at 7:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Mark Newsom

America got Bin Laden. The CIA found him,the President made the decision to assassinate, the Special Ops got it done, and we the tax payees funded it. The President did not get him. We got him.

September 5, 2012 at 7:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • TALKINKNOWLEDGE

Thats funny. I done remember EVER hearing the POTUS saying, he killed OBL all by himself! Stop watching PROPAGANDA VIDEOS, and live in reality!! The POTUS has alway given our men and women, their just-do in the war on terror and for their bravery on the battle field!!

September 5, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Mark Newsom

Sorry but I haven't watched any propaganda videos partner. Each time I turn on the news (CNN), someone is giving one person props for doing it. I have never heard President Obama say it himself. Just all the squirlies that surround him. America should celebrate what was accomplished. America was attacked and America got him. We all know that the decision to go ahead with the mission had to come from one office so in no way to I belittle the magnitude of that decision. I just think we should all be thankful that our nation succeeded in the mission. I don't think that is "living in a dream land."

September 5, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark Newsom

Obviously I meant "payers" and not "payees"

September 5, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. D’Adrea Davie

Rahm Emanuel did a good job at pointing out the improvements that Pres. Obama have accomplished and I believe that it has made a difference.

September 5, 2012 at 7:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Mark Newsom

Remember, President Obama was inside Washington already. He knew the condition of the Government and made a conscious decision that he still wanted it. He knew he was getting the bill from the previous guy who sat at that table and still wanted to sit at that table. Democrats keep using the excuse that he inherited the economy...he knew what he was getting people. I'm so tired of hearing that excuse. If you buy a used car that you know has a bad transmission, would you later whine about how the previous owner ripped you off because the transmission is bad? If you buy it, it is now yours. Deal with the problem and stop your crying.

September 5, 2012 at 7:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • TALKINKNOWLEDGE

Your saying Obama knew what he was getting himself into. OK. So your admitting, his predecessor(George W. Bush) completely DESTROYED this country, before Obama took on the responsibilty as POTUS?

September 5, 2012 at 8:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Mark Newsom

Yes, I am saying that President Obama knew what he was getting into. He knew the condition of the government as he was part of that government. Remember, President Bush signed off on a budget that a Democrat led Congress passed. Had they not passed it, it never would have reached President Bush's desk for signature. The problem was not one persons doing. It was the fault of all of those that were in office at that time. But affixing the "fault" sticker to someone’s chest doesn't solve the problem. The problem was there, President Obama wanted the office. It is what it is. All the blame games is just ridiculous at this point. As an open minded Republican, I want to hear what the Democrats have to say and I'm tired of all the blame and rhetoric. I want them to show me what they are all about and what they have to offer in solutions.

September 5, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mark Newsom

You know, I'm a Republican wanting to hear what the Democrats have to say and all I heard last night was more garbage. Also, if I remember correctly, the last 2 years of President Bush's Presidency had a Democrat led Congress. Constitutionally it is Congress the is responsible for the budget and approving spending. If Bush got us where we are, Congress approved it. And again, tell me how the Gov created jobs. Explain that one to us???

September 5, 2012 at 7:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jan

Exactly, Mark. Democrats had control of the purse strings and the ability to make laws beginning in Jan. of 2007. Is it just a coincidence that the economy really started to tank after they took charge? We always hear about how those "evil" Republicans are obstructing poor Barack Obama (despite his party controlling all of Washington for 2 full years), yet didn't hear about how the Democrats obstructed George Bush during his tenure.

September 5, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Vfrom NY

Mark check this out on fact check if you like but in 2009 budget and spending was mostly due to appropriations and policies that were already in place when Obama took office by Bush administration.
      That includes spending for the bank bailout , approved by President Bush. And increases in amounts actually spent since 2009 have been relatively modest. If you havent noticed everything is going up. The stimulus contained a combination of tax cuts and new spending . if you are really concerned about debt you would want more revenue to counter it. So while spending as a percentage of GDP is running at the highest level since the 1940s, tax revenues are also historically LOW . For fiscal 2009 and 2010, receipts were just 15.1 percent of GDP, They haven’t been that low since 1950. And prior to 2009, the average since the end of World War II was 17.8 percent. And that is the problem !
      Problem isnt spendign it is loss of revenue

September 5, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Mark Newsom

VfromNY, yes, I don't think anyone is denying what the condition of the Fed was when President Obama took office. But if President Bush approved a certain budget and spending, that means that the Congress, both houses, passed it first. That Congress was Democrat led. So had they not passed it, it never would have reached President Bush's desk. I am also fully aware that the gap between "outlays" and "receipts" has closed since President Obama took office and we all agree that there is still a ways to go to get it fixed. My point is that we have heard and are still hearing everyone make excuses about how he inherited the mess (and we all know it’s a mess). He knew it was a mess and still wanted it. The excuses and whining need to stop. It’s just pitiful. The Democrats have my ear right now and I’m waiting to hear something besides whining and rhetoric.

September 5, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |