Coming up Wednesday

Wildfires burn through Colorado causing thousands to evacuate, and protests in Turkey are in 13th day. Tune in at 7am ET.
October 23rd, 2012

Starting Point live blog for Tuesday, Oct. 23rd, 2012

NOTE: Click here if you're having trouble seeing the Starting Point live blog updates.

We've opened a live blog for "Starting Point with Soledad O'Brien" this morning. Soledad is live in Boca Raton, Fla. with a full recap of the final presidential debate last night. Soledad and our Starting Point producers will be moderating.

We encourage you to share your comments, ask questions, and maybe even record a webcam response to post to the feed.

A few ground rules:

* All comments and video submissions will be moderated, so please refrain from using any inappropriate language or gestures. We want to keep this a lively, interesting conversation.
* Any webcam submissions are limited to one minute long. Try to keep your responses short.
* By posting in this live blog, you agree any comments & content with your name and profile picture may be used by CNN, its affiliates and licensees in all media. CNN.com/privacy

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Danny Shuman

What I sent to the president

Before you head back to the presidential bubble Mr President,a suggestion. You take great pride in being a family man in that you, whenever possible ,eat with your wife and kids in the family residence. Great if your a regular guy,but,your not a regular guy. You have got to get to know the players
    both in the republican and democrat congress. Its time to go out to schmooze with them OR invite them to dinner with their families, to eat with yours 2-3 times a week! You've come a long way without my input,but you have gotten no where without my vote,my phone calls and my handing out of campaign brochures. The pact you make to be president is that you belong more to US then to you! You want to eat at the big boy table then you've got to be able to give stuff up. Romney if asked I'm sure would have told you this. I don't imagine you get to be a multimillion dollar pirate without saying to the wife and kids I'm busy tonight I hope to see you before you get to bed! I hope you take my advice Mr President. Its far harder for your acquaintances or your enemies to treat you badly if they get to know you personally.
    Danny Shuman

November 7, 2012 at 8:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Good Guy

Romney appeared to be presidential. Obama acted like a challenger. That said, I believe the polls will continue to show a Romney surge.

October 23, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Danny Shuman

I'm thrilled that I don't have to see Mayor911 ! This man, who cant find anything he or any other republican does that's wrong,nothing that Obama or democrats can do right,speaks over others demanding that he be listened to and dismisses others and rely's on being mayor during a horrific moment in history as his claim to fame! I just wish ( when I had been in the lighting business for 25 years during 911) when I called the mayors office the next day when he said to a reporter when asked that he had checked and the air quality was OK for the firemen to work in,had taken my call or listened to me! I told them that with the thousands of destroyed fluorescent tubes and all their mercury in the air along with cement dust etc that these firemen would and could get cancer and lung disease. When the person I spoke to asked if I was a scientist and I said no ,I was told what did I know and hung up on me while I was saying at least check with someone as to my suggestions Well Mayor,what do you know?

October 23, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Gary Haynes

About Romney. I am Canadian and it is pretty clear that what happens in the US affects many people around the world.

I am not for or against any US political party. It's not rocket science! The crisis of 2008 and all the affects, are impossible to repair overnight.

Now about Romney: I am sure, absolutely positive he is a good man at heart. But beyond that... Why is it so hard for everyone to see that he is simply saying whatever he needs to say to get votes? I mean it's so obvious!

Just because he says something that voters all of a sudden agree with, does not a President make.

he just keeps looking for what to say that will get him the votes he needs.

Regardless of the candidates. The problems facing the USA our(Canada's) closest brother/sister, are huge and are far reaching. It amazes me that in our personal lives we all plan for the future. Make sacrifice and provisions so our futures will be prosperous/good.

It is the same for a country. You have to make sacrifices and plan today so the future will be prosperous. Education, Good security, health and well being = Growth and prosperity.

Whoever the President is. Anyone can see that the hay days are over and now we must make the appropriate and necessary URGENT and sometimes painful adjustments to correct the situation for long term growth and prosperity.

Putting political agendas and parties aside.. No one in their right mind can possibly think that this current global situation has an easy fix. If anyone does believe that they are "SEVERELY" delusional.

October 23, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Danny Shuman

Hard to believe that I would say this,Newt was right! He said that Mitt Romney couldn't be trusted to mean what he says or in another vernacular,Mitt lies and will lie to get what he wants. Mitt changes now from debate to debate. This etch a sketch candidate says things like I got along with the 81% higher margin of democrats in Massachusetts,well,hell,Mitt was there ever a choice?!
    Of course I would have enjoyed at least some dialogue as to the factory owned by Bain where the people begged Mitt to see them instead of having to tell their Chinese replacements what to do to ensure their final loss of jobs to China ! Heck I missed YOU talking about these poor people with years of keeping good jobs,making a good product and yet being sold out by Mitt and the boys for just more profit! Neither side of Mitts mouth speaks to this as he talks about sending jobs to China as if its something foreign to him.
    Boy I just wish that what we expect for behavior from our kids as we encourage them to be good people we could expect from our candidates!
    I wonder is there a police show that we could use to find the real Mitt? CSI perhaps?

October 23, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Gwen. H.

Folks, we( the American Workers) have as Dr.King state "been given a bad check". Not only have the jobs been outsourced for a cheaper labor force across the Waters, but the people across the waters are coming here setting up shop/business etc. at low interest loans that we cannot get. All the stores in my community (immediate) are owed by Inidans, Muslims, Hindus, or Arab speakers. Hep me undestand that.

October 23, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. OLGA

Mr. Romney was nervous, sweaty, eager to sound 'peace lover' when in fact he has voiced the opposite for months! He was naiive, ignorant, and pathetically unprepared to discuss foreign affairs. He reverted to the economy, including turning the questions of the moderator into his own and was totally out of his league.

He looked like Nixon back in the '60s when he and JFK had their debates. SAD, SAD, SAD...

October 23, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Joe in FL

I agree with Senator Kerry; Grover Norquist is a dangerous man. As Ben Franklin noted, Nothing is certain but death and taxes. Norquist has made Republicans accountable to him and his ridiculous pledge which obstructs the progress of domestic economic policy. He is not properly vilified and is holding our nation hostage; why are these Republicans answering to him, when they should be answering to the American people?

October 23, 2012 at 7:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Joe in FL

The troubling part about Mitt Romney is that he has the air of an unscrupulous businessman who will say anything so he gets what he wants. That's not the kind of person who I want in charge of our economy, making decisions around the world, or with access to our military. The more even-keel, cool-headed Obama is the obvious winner here.

October 23, 2012 at 7:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Essence C.

President Obama

October 23, 2012 at 7:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Michelle

President Obama clearly won this debate. He was clear and concise. Romney seemed nervous and unsure.

October 23, 2012 at 7:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Fallon S.

President Obama won last night's debate. Romney seemed to agree with just about everything the President has done and plans to do in the future with a few exceptions. The only thing Romney disagreed with were his own talking points from a few months ago.

October 23, 2012 at 7:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Michele Gesell

Was there a fact check on the Presidents claim about taking China to task for its Trade Practices several times? Also, I agree with the President about NOT rewarding companies that outsource American jobs. Did I miss Romneys thoughts on this or did he just " glide past that argument" and not give his opinion on companies that are benefitting from tax breaks while outsourcing American jobs for higher Corp profits?

October 23, 2012 at 7:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Mark

Soledad, the military still uses bayonets.

October 23, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe in FL

Yeah, war has evolved. We have drones now. (But we're not allowed to talk about them.)

October 23, 2012 at 7:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Keith

I believe you missed the point of the president's retort.

October 23, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

Mark, you are very correct. Add to that, Mr. Romney did not respond to nonsensical comments. Personally, I would have blasted him. It was insulting and an unnecessary comment by Obama.

October 23, 2012 at 7:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Michele Gesell

The President. Romney spent his campaign referring to the Presidents"failed foreign policies" then last night Agreed with the Presidents foreign policies? China as an ally? I don't believe American WORKERS see China as an ally. As a consumer, I'm sick of everything stamped Made In China. The only thing I haven't seen that stamp on is my toilet paper ( but it wouldn't shock me if it was)! Once again, many of Romneys positions last night were different from what he has been saying during his campaign. To Romneys credit, he did have a different approach to handling Pakistan.

October 23, 2012 at 7:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

Michele, with all due respect, you have chosen to articulate pieces of what Mr. Romney said. He also stated that China has been hacking our networks and stealing our intellectual property, which must stop. He was far more diplomatic about China and how to deal with them than Obama. If you have enjoyed the last almost four year of everything wrong, then by all means, exercise your vote for Obama. I will not be fooled twice. Now, a bit you may not know. Obama has been presented three opportunities in the past to remove Bin Laden and deferred each time. Bin Laden was taken out as a result of Mrs. Clinton, Mr. Panetta, and the Chaiman of the Joint Chiefs giving the go ahead WITHOUT Obama knowing it until the choppers were in Pakistan's air space.

October 23, 2012 at 7:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Name*Zina

President Obama clearly exposed Romney's weaknesses. Romney is not ready for the job. Period

October 23, 2012 at 7:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Derek Mallow

Obama. He was poised in his rebuttals to Romney showing the American people his inability to show his core values.

October 23, 2012 at 7:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Joe in FL

Don't know why everyone thinks Romney did well last night, he stammered and stumbled through most everything and pretty much copied the existing policies of the Obama administration in his responses.It looks like Republicans have found a candidate more inept on foreign policy than George W. Bush.

October 23, 2012 at 6:52 am | Report abuse | Reply