Coming up Wednesday

Wildfires burn through Colorado causing thousands to evacuate, and protests in Turkey are in 13th day. Tune in at 7am ET.
November 26th, 2012

Starting Point live blog for Monday, Nov. 26th, 2012

NOTE: Click here if you're having trouble seeing the Starting Point live blog updates.

We've opened a live blog for "Starting Point with Soledad O'Brien" this morning. Soledad is in our New York City studio with a look at upcoming fiscal cliff negotiations, and the latest on ongoing protests in Egypt. Guests include Americans for Tax Reform's Grover Norquist and Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-NJ). Also, Tony Bennett talks about his life and career, and his latest CD release. Soledad and our Starting Point producers will be moderating.

We encourage you to share your comments, ask questions, and maybe even record a webcam response to post to the feed.

A few ground rules:

* All comments and video submissions will be moderated, so please refrain from using any inappropriate language or gestures. We want to keep this a lively, interesting conversation.
* Any webcam submissions are limited to one minute long. Try to keep your responses short.
* By posting in this live blog, you agree any comments & content with your name and profile picture may be used by CNN, its affiliates and licensees in all media. CNN.com/privacy

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Home

You're in reality a excellent webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing. It seems that you're doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you've performed a fantastic task in this subject!

April 18, 2013 at 8:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Puck Erickson Lohnas

OMG [G is for Gosh by the way]. It is increasingly harder to tolerate folks referring to marriage as a 'religious' institution. What exactly does that mean? I am a 'religious' Episcopalian whose religion celebrates the teachings of Jesus....tolerance, inclusion, trust. Is my 'religion' LESS than someone else's? The point is NO ONE is forcing a particular church to perform gay marriage. Reductionist absurdity that would not hold up in court. Let's force Hindus to eat meat!

March 18, 2013 at 8:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Elizabeth Luff

Did I just hear someone comment that the White House cancelling tours is nothing. It only saves about $18,000 a week. Really!!!! Not a big deal???????????

No, not for Washington politicians and media folks. But $18,000 is more than some families are living on..............in a year.....................It is 2 years of tuition in a state college. It would pay my mortgage for a year. Send me just one week of the White House's savings....I will be sooooooooooooo happy.
    Send me a year of it and I can send my son to college, paint the house, fix the heater, contribute to my colleague's dance company (total budget: $25,000), put some money into savings, and even take a nicer vacation than I've had for a decade.

March 8, 2013 at 7:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Patty

I am very disappointed that Soledad OBrien is leaving Starting Point. Her interviews are riveting, thoughtful, and even fun. Jeff Zucker does not know what he's doing. When O'Brien goes, so will a lot of viewers

February 22, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mike

Ok... Why is the blade runner court audio this A.M taking up the whole show. This is not news your viewers want to see.

February 22, 2013 at 8:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Kevin Ricks

Personally, I thought Richard Land made his argument very well and made the interviewers look unprepared. What is wrong with a private organization setting its own admission policies? Good people can have differing opinions on homosexuality but those views should not be forced on a private organization such as boy scouts or any chruch. Mr. Land's point was a good one in that I would not want my daughter to go to a camp run by men becasue they are attracted. Likewise, gay men are attracted to the same sex so why would I want my son to go to a camp run by individuals attracted to him. What is controversial about that. Put aside emotions and look at it logically.

February 6, 2013 at 7:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Floodybear2

I understand where you’re coming from if you were an NBC employee that got let go under Zucker. Just watched Up in the Air (good movie but disappointed after all the hype) and all those “I’m fired?” clips were like an anchor. Nothing good ever comes from kicking anyone when they are already down. Zucker is one of the biggest assholes out there and toxic. No way Google or FB would have him. MySpace might. Lol These are previous posts that I’m totally in agreement with..Why are you JEFF ZUCKER!!! Changing Solidad O’Brien From the Morning show on Cnn Starting Point? You are totally in the category with Sarah Palin and John Mccain..Total idiots.. Don’t worry if you take Solidad away..I leave too. along with many more..Keep going Jeff you will be out of a job soon..Because of your mindless corporate decisions..

January 29, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Wilbert Watson

I just spoke to a few more Jamaicans about the VW Superbowl ad and the loved it. They is nothing unusual to us about a white person speaking the language. Would it surprised you that many Black Americans with no ties the Jamaica also imitate or protray themselves as Jamaican. It was moreso in the early to mid 1990s.

Love your show and continue the good deeds.

Will

January 28, 2013 at 8:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Howard Flysher

U never ask the right questions as response to guests' comments ie the Rep from South Carolina said about Sandy relief. You should ask if South Carolina was hit like Hurricane Sandy would you vote against relief for your State?

January 15, 2013 at 8:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jerry Persaud

Soledad, I love your show and watch it every morning as I do of CNN around the clock.
    I am looking/listening to you right now on the "Media & Newtown: the Aftermath." Kids are innocent and babies but they have sense and have stories to tell, interviewing them with care and context is possible. I am not sure your guest is up on this. One thing CNN can do beyond a 30 second mention like the rest of the networks, is to do a segment on: The incredibly entrenched culture of gun and gun- loving in the Newtown area. The amount of ranges, one of the strongest gun-lobbying organization in this area, the 'sold' out of assault weapons in the area many, many gun stores, etc. The bucolic innocence of this area is in many, many parts of the nation, the juxtaposition of its gun culture might bring beauty and the beast in better context. Kind Regards

December 21, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. John

Anybody who doesn't believe that we don't need gun control, I would ask them to go to a funeral or 2 or 10 or 20 or 26. They are happening all week. I believe it's easy to say "you can't take my guns from me", but if you have ever seen a child killed by a gun it will change your view on this issue forever. It never leaves your mind. This is so twisted to even talked about providing more guns to teachers. Is that all we can do is provide more guns to the problem. Thank god we have educators that when the alarm rang they ran towards the trouble and not from it. The only crime they committed was to go to school and work. RIP

December 19, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Valencia Taylor

The parent, Mrs. Bittman from Newtown the past two days spoke on CIVIL DISCOURSE in making sure that these 26 people have not died in vain. What I just saw on Starting Point was not civil discourse that she spoke of. WHO IS THAT GUY? I would not invite him back. We definitely will not change anything with him around. I am appalled at his statements, and cutting people off. The second amendment was written when it took a half hour to reload your weapon.

December 19, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Terry Belleville

I know we have to let this go but we can’t just change the channel. We can’t waste those precious lives. We must honour them by editing cultures and consciences that allow or even foster such indecent, callous and selfish actions. We must acknowledge that all is not well and we must work to amend the errors that we, as a civilized, intelligent people, have somehow allowed to take hold. As for the perpetrator, I don’t want to hear about his confusion or his devils. He is not the victim here; let us not forget that. Don’t speak of him. Don’t give him the time or notoriety he must have been seeking to plan and then commit this heinous crime. Speak of the children. Speak of the parents. Speak of the bravery of adults who risked and gave their lives to defend others. Speak of how we can once again engender dignity and respect into lives. Speak of how we can all work together regardless of nationality, sex, race or religion to help keep each other safe and well. We must all speak out. We must make this a better place. We must never let this happen again. If we do speak out we may be amazed at the power we have. Hold your children close tonight.

December 17, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. candy

In light of the tradgedy of Newtown,Ct. I believe we should examine how we realte to one another. I watch a number of news shows every morning-Joe, Fox, and Starting Point. The rhetoric over the recent election was hostile and divisive. It was as if we were taking out all of our pent-up anger on eachother thru the process. I found Soledad to be among the most agressive and condescending. She reveled and snickered when she saw the candidates falter- they are only human after all. I prefer a more intelligent discourse-win with your ideas-not how you can insult or overtalk your guest.

December 17, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Scot

Soledad you are off the chart bias if your interview. Are you a news reporter or spokesman for gun control. I think we must do something but you have to at least understand the basic facts . Take a chill and get the facts first

December 17, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Carmen Palermo

The Amish:

The massacre of six innocents: 2006-OCT-03 how can we forget that tragedy!

December 16, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. alejandro

i challange soledad to come and see food stamp abuse as people are having babies to get more stamps..how they eat the best and get fatter..how me, middle class eats black and white labels and watch them eat like kings...i challange you to stand at walmart, in texas at the beginning of the month or whenever they get them..watch how they pack their buggies way high while i walk out with 2-4 bags at 70 dollars...shameless...yes i'm disgusted that i'm contributing to their goods while i pinch..so don't feel so sorry for them as they figured out how to get the most out of the government and have no clue how they are destroying america or how they don't care...somoeone needs to keep track of these abuse or at least reassurre us that we all know about it but turn a blind eye to it...but i'm sick of it....i'm thinking i should throw the towel in and join them..they don't live so bad..heck they eat better then me.

December 6, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Richard Dyer

I have a question about the upcoming cliff. Why do we never hear about Foreign Aid as an area to be cut? When we talk about entitlement programs to be cut, why not start with foreign entitlement. I would love to see how foreign aid stacks up against domestic aid. I personally feel that all foreign aid should be cut in half this year. In my household, if I don’t have extra money to give away, I certainly do not borrow money to give to outsiders.
    Thank you for considering this topic.

Sincerely
    Richard

December 6, 2012 at 1:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Terry

You need to "fact check" yourselves; the Republican congressman on your show this morning was right. Obama/Biden got 51% of the vote. So before you people run off at the mouth, try doing some fact-checking on yourselves.

December 5, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. jason

i think its time for black white talks to end. what a tired story it has become. the only reason there is an issue is because those people want attention and have run out of real news. come on cnn solodad stop wasting time dreading.

December 4, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. mike strain

It is no surprise that the dolphin bit the little girl's hand.... Try cutting back on entitlements.

December 3, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Gary Hendricks

Van Happen says "JUMP" off the fiscal cliff

December 1, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Gary Hendricks

About the "Fiscal Cliff", the Baby Boomers say as did Van Halen "JUMP"

November 30, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Colonel (ret.) Mike Turner

My name is Colonel (ret.) Mike Turner, and I was a national military commentator from March, 2003 until summer, 2004. I was on CNN quite a bit and should be in your database as on-air talent. As you can see below, I worked daily with Susan Rice for over two years while I was on the Joint Staff. I can speak in considerable, first-person detail about her work ethic, qualifications and professionalism under a wide range of highly stressful conditions. She is being treated shamefully by the Senators Ayotte, McCain, and Graham, and I thought you might like a non-partisan view of someone who's worked closely with her over an extended period.

From 1993-1997, I worked in the Middle East/Africa Branch of J-5 (Strategic Plans and Policy on the Joint Staff in the Pentagon). In late 1994, I became the Africa Branch Chief responsible for U.S. Politico-Military policy for all of sub-Saharan Africa. As a Joint Staff representative, I represented the Chairman in all Interagency discussions about Africa (Interagency: White House, Civilian Defense, Joint Staff, State). For that entire period, Susan Rice was the Deputy National Security Advisor for African Affairs under Anthony Lake until she became Asst. Secretary of State for African Affairs taking over from Amb. George Moose in 1997.

In my capacity as the Africa Branch Chief under then Lt. Gen. Wesley Clark, the J-5, I worked with Susan just about every day for two-and-a-half years. Over that time, I'm sure I sat in over a hundred diplomatic and Washington Interagency meetings with Susan, including several in the White House situation room after the coup in Burundi in July, 1996. Susan also directed the Interagency crisis response to the meltdown in Liberia that occurred (I think) in 1995 or 1996. In early 1995, I traveled with Susan on a 10-day tour around every major crisis spot in Africa with Susan, then-Ambassador Allbright, then DASS Pru Bushnell who went on to become the Ambassador in Nairobi on the day of the Al Queda attack, and Jamie (?), the Ambassador's spokesperson who went on to become Secretary Allbright's press spokesperson. In 1996, Amb. Moose, Susan, myself, and several other members of the delegation traveled all over sub-Saharan Africa presenting the African Crisis Response Initiative, a concept developed in my office on the Joint Staff that became a major U.S. peacekeeping initiative shortly thereafter.

I offer this somewhat extended introduction because I know Susan Rice very, very well. I watched her work during literally dozens of incredibly tense, sensitive and highly classified meetings. She was (and I strongly suspect, still is) one of the most brilliant, dedicated, honest, committed, and professional diplomats this country has ever produced. While she was still In her early thirties, I watched her run regular, highly classified, crisis decision-making conferences with senior diplomats and three- and four-star generals that were crisp, incisive, focused and deliberate. She does not suffer fools gladly, but she is a consummately gifted, honest and decent public servant who would make a remarkably effective Secretary of State.

Stated simply, what Senators McCain, Graham, and Ayotte are doing is simply reprehensible. It is political blood sport of the most vicious kind, and I would love the chance to go on the air, offer my first-person accounts of how consummately qualified Susan is for any job the President has in mind for her, and state for the record just how disgraceful their conduct is.

Thanks for forwarding this on...

Mike Turner

November 28, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Larry George

Thank you for having Hanan Ashrawi on Soledad O'Brien's Starting Point! I am a United Methodist pastor who has worked with NGOs in Israel and Palestine for 24 years, and have countless stories and observations to support all that Hanan Ashrawi says. Her voice needs to be heard more often.
    With deepest appreciation to you!

November 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply