Coming up Wednesday

Wildfires burn through Colorado causing thousands to evacuate, and protests in Turkey are in 13th day. Tune in at 7am ET.
December 4th, 2012
09:43 AM ET

Students overcome by carbon monoxide at an Atlanta school; one parent and the Public School Deputy Superintendent offer their take

Students at an Atlanta elementary started feeling sick just after the school day began this Monday morning, prompting all 500 children and their teachers to be evacuated. Seven-year-old Adrianne Whitener was one of 44 children and several adults hospitalized when the gas leak at Finch Elementary School suddenly made them ill. She and her mother Josephine Benjamin join us live from Atlanta with their story. Benjamin says the first-grader passed out shortly after classes started.

The Atlanta Fire Department measured a carbon monoxide level of 1,700 parts per million near the school's furnace, one of the highest levels the city's fire department has ever seen. Deputy Superintendent of Atlanta’s Public Schools Steve Smith also joins “Starting Point” live from Atlanta.

Posted by
Filed under: Education
soundoff (No Responses)

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.