Coming up Wednesday

Wildfires burn through Colorado causing thousands to evacuate, and protests in Turkey are in 13th day. Tune in at 7am ET.
December 6th, 2012

CNN's Poppy Harlow speaks to a brave honors student who lost his home and school due to Sandy

CNN's Poppy Harlow speaks with 13-year-old Ryan Panetta who leapt into the rising waters of Hurricane Sandy to save his family, but he couldn’t save his home or school. Now he is one of hundreds of NY kids attending a temporary school and living in a temporary apartment.

Panetta, an honor student is one of 76,000 New York students whose displacement has wreaked havoc on their school and home life, separating them from communities and familiar faces.

For more information about how you can help those affected by Sandy, check out CNN.com/IMPACT.

Filed under: Education • Hurricane Sandy • Sandy
  1. Alec Cohen

Omg i known Ryan for a year and iv'e never though he'd have to go through with this hes my bro and i love him i wish your family the best my brother

May 8, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. acne

obviously like your website but you've to take a take a look at the spelling on several of one's posts. Numerous of them are rife with spelling issues and I discover it very troublesome to inform the reality on the other hand I'll certainly come back once more. acne http://www.acnecyst.net/keloid-scar-an-important-factor-for-development-of-acne

April 26, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Ali Molina

Our family would lke to donate the monies that we would spend on Christmas gifts to our family and each other to the Panetta family. Please let us know how we can send them our best wishes and donation to help them on rebuilding their lifes.

December 12, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. E Risi

Is there a way to help the Panetta family directly?

December 10, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Shelia

This story has motivated my family to donate the money we would use to buy Christmas presents for exchange among ourselves to the Panetta family. How do I get in touch with them? Poppy said at the end of the broadcast to contact her if we wanted to donate to this family specifically. I would love to help all the victims but this child touched my heart deeply.
    An address or email for this family would be great. Would like to get the gift to them before Christmas.

December 7, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Marsha Rauch

I would like to send a check to the Ryan Panetta family to help with their reconstruction. Please tell me how I can send something to this brave little boy and his family. Like so many, they need help and I can send them a check or a Home Depot gift card or something. Could you provide an email address or a mailing address for this family? Thank you for airing their story this morning. Please, please, please get back to me on this. I am compelled to help the Panetta family.

December 6, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. aida

I would like to help this family. Please let me know how I can get in touch with them

December 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply