Coming up Wednesday

Wildfires burn through Colorado causing thousands to evacuate, and protests in Turkey are in 13th day. Tune in at 7am ET.
May 14th, 2013

CNN anchor: 'I have breast cancer'

CNN anchor Zoraida Sambolin discusses her recent breast cancer diagnosis and her decision to have a double mastectomy.

Filed under: Cancer • Health • Uncategorized • Women's issues
  1. Mary Alice Unger

Fantastic interview/support/education session. As an RN I know that education about the facts decreases the "fear Factor" by 50%mor more. Please, please continue to share your journey with other women. I watch your interview with
    Dr. "G" and your physician so informative BUT just the beginning. I will be praying for you and know you will emerge the winner !

May 19, 2013 at 9:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Grateful survivor

After listening to your news cast about your diagnosis, first, I am very sorry that you were diagnosed but because you have just started your journey, I think you missed the mark on some things. When you said you talked to your daughter and asked her what she thought and she said someone getting sick and losing their hair. You responded that that wasn't going to happen to you. All well and good BUT that doesn't happen to everyone and there are a LOT of breast cancer survivor who have lost their hair, gotten sick and STILL survived. Whatever the diagnosis and whatever the treatment there is hope. I wish you the best on your journey but please don't think those things can't happen to you because only GOD has the master plan. We just have to have the fight and faith.

May 19, 2013 at 6:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Rozalia Mielcarek

I have watched all the recent news clips profiling a women's choice in terms of management of breast cancer I applaud all these women for sharing their personal stories in hope of educating and inspiring. I do not live in the US however these stories have made it across the border as well opening up the discussion. I do have a question though. Can I assume that all these women profiled had private health insurance? What resources are available to women with out any health insurance? Are there any agencies or resources that such a women can access so that she can also have the option of such a choice. I believe this information would perhaps be as helpful as the "choice" itself
    Respectfully,
    A Canadian viewer

May 16, 2013 at 6:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. ВОДОПАДЫ ЧИСТОЙ ВОДЫ ЗАГРУЖАЕМ В КАЖДЫЙ ДОМ

I am now not positive the place you're getting your information, however great topic. I must spend some time finding out more or working out more. Thank you for fantastic info I was looking for this info for my mission.

May 15, 2013 at 12:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. olderose

Are we about to experience one of those "I am Spartacus" moments?

May 14, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. elizabeth parks

Zoraida 4 yrs ago I was where you are today, I made the same decision you made. I've never been sorry about that decision. My BRACA test was neg. Be strong in the Lord. I hope you won't need chemo but, if so.it's just a hill you have to climb to walk in the sun on the other side. Good luck and God Bless

May 14, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. duditos

thank you for sharing your story. i am a physician (pediatrician), and my wife, a nurse, was diagnosed with breast cancer and chose double mastectomy 4 years ago. she is doing great, cancer free, and has spent much of her time since her diagnosis researching breast cancer treatment options, helping family members, especially adolescent children cope with the diagnosis in their mother, and dealing with some post operative issues that made recovery a bit more challenging than we had anticipated. i know you have many resources available to you, but please feel free to contact me or my wife (Jenny) if you have any questions about your upcoming journey, or if you just need to talk to an excellent listener whose been there.

May 14, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Ann

I'm not one bit impressed with all the praise and accolades for people coming out about their double mastectomy. I'd be willing to bet that most of the women who do so, eat daily doses of yogurt and other dairy-based products. As far the "cancer gene" is concerned, it is carried from one dairy-consuming family member to another. People, wake up, please! Look at the high-starch, high-dairy diets you consume every day. There's the beginning of the so-called BRCA 1 and BRCA 2. My God, people voice these titles as if they're God-sent. They are not. Breasts, 2 breasts, are God-sent. Please heed this message and change your diet!

May 14, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply