Coming up Wednesday

Wildfires burn through Colorado causing thousands to evacuate, and protests in Turkey are in 13th day. Tune in at 7am ET.
June 3rd, 2013

Controversy around new Cheerios ad featuring interracial family – Social commentator Nancy Giles weighs in

Cheerios has been a household name for decades but one of their new ads is serving up a controversy. The use of an interracial family is what has everyone talking and even has some up in arms. Some folks are saying it's an important step but others posted comments that got so bad Cheerios had to shut them  down on the official YouTube video.

This morning, social commentator and a contributor to "CBS Sunday Morning" Nancy Giles joins “Starting Point’ to weigh in on the controversy.

Filed under: Cheerios • Commercial
  1. abouttime

almost 40 years ago, Star Trek made history with the first interracial kiss on TV... and look where we are now... about time....

June 17, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Sharper

This happens in the world everyday, interracial family. People need to realize that and stop complaining and just live with how our society is today. I didn't even notice the white lady sitting at the table until the news pointed it out. I hope cheerios do not remove thier commercial. Now how you doing!

June 7, 2013 at 9:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. robin luttrell

I dont see anything racist about this ad I find the ad very cute . I love it

June 6, 2013 at 10:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. concerned

I realize its 2013 but this is against God and the bible!

June 4, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Dionne Perry

I am so proud of Cheerios excellent marketing, being a product of multiracial parents mother white father black I think it is about time racial barrier are broken even through a commercial. Me and my family will be long time Cheerios eater and banning the view will never play in our house.

June 3, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. dweise

Really? What year is this?

June 3, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. CucamongaKing

Ridiculous.
    Have an issue with this AND it just reflects your level of education.

June 3, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Andrea

There are cracked people everywhere so, full steam ahead mates!

June 3, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jackie Allison

I enjoyed the Cheerios commercial, especially the expressions on the little girls face. Made me smile, then chuckle. According to Scientific study, related to DNA findings over the past decade, every human on this planet can trace their ancestry back to one area in Africa. In essence, every American technically could be called an African American. This world may never be in harmony, until all skin colors intermingle, creating a universal skin color. Mixing of the races is a natural process for eventual human survival, I feel. Evolution by natural selection is in progress. With global warming upon us, darker skin – more pigment – will allow some to withstand the higher temperatures from the intensity of the sun and it's UV rays. I suppose, in essence, returning to our ancestral Roots.

June 3, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. drewsco

I find it strange how this story is on CNN & MSNBC's website. However FOX news doesn't have it........hmmmm

June 3, 2013 at 11:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • DennisW

I thought this couldn't be the case, but I went to http://www.foxnews.com and typed cheerios into their search box and NOTHING! Wow.

June 3, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Dr Tom

There are plenty of inter racial couples in TV shows, but not in commercials. Go Cheerios!!

June 3, 2013 at 11:13 am | Report abuse | Reply