Coming up Wednesday

Wildfires burn through Colorado causing thousands to evacuate, and protests in Turkey are in 13th day. Tune in at 7am ET.
March 6th, 2012

Me...on That: A sick daughter won't stop Super Tuesday

I overslept this morning and I hopped in my car–late! At 3:04am. My driver Miguel says "I have a surprise for you"...which is sort of a terrifying thought at 3 in the morning. But he hits play on his iPhone and suddenly I'm listening to the Cuban singer Rolando Laserie singing "Hola Soledad." Think we'll feature THAT this morning on Starting Point's Playlist!

Last night was a late one. I got home at 7p after an all-day shoot on kids and race for Anderson. (Yes, hello, 16 hour day!) It was an amazing story, but I was tired and I had a mound of 5th grade homework to eyeball.

Monday was a crazy day: My daughter had a fever while I was on the air, so I was emailing to try to get her pediatrician Dr. Edie to see her. Today of course is all about Super Tuesday. Talk of a brokered convention has died down, and now it's about looking at the other guys. What's the Gingrich strategy for Super Tuesday? Does it all rest with Georgia? Santorum had a rough weekend, struggling through an interview on Fox and backed off of his "snob" comments. Will it hurt him?

This morning, Rep. Aaron Schock (R-IL) and Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) are back and will talk about Mitt Romney's efforts today, since they are both Romney supporters. We'll also shake our heads at Rep. Chaffetz's dusty old cd collection (or is it a record collection?). Devo? Seriously? I owned that in 9th grade.

Today, we'll also dig into what exactly happened in Cairo to Sam LaHood, who was among 19 Americans and 43 NGO employees facing criminal charges of using illegally obtained funds to stir up unrest. He's now out of Egypt and safe in Washington D.C.

Also we're talking football (me talking sports usually makes my husband cringe) because I find this bounty for injuring players fascinating. Players seem to think it's part of playing hard. I'll talk with former Buffalo Bills safety Izell Reese around 8:15am. He says hitting hard is part of his job and it's a physical game, but it's hard to draw a line between an intentional hit and a hit as part of the game. Should be pretty interesting.

I'm off to do some more reading before the top of the show. Join me 7am Eastern on CNN.

1. John L Brown

Sorry to here that your daughter is ill. The flu and colds is going around. She will be just fine but I can understand you are a concern parent. I wish more parents were like you. Tell your views don't be Mentally Blind because all elections they fight with words. The country is headed the right direction now. What's happening is everything is changing all we have to do is hold on and support one another. GOD BLESS YOU AND THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

March 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. joanne ciccone

First, drivers are needed if the main person is to get to their show on time Nothing elitist about that. Good luck today Soledad. Another very long day. Stay healthy.

March 6, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Stephen

Rosa, how exactly do you know that an environment is dominated by single people?.....on top of that, single people with "minimal responsibilities"?? What does that even mean? A single person can't have responsibilities?? What about the single person who works multiple jobs and care for sick and aging parents, relatives, etc all while barely paying the bills?? What an ignorant comment.

March 6, 2012 at 8:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Paul Williams

Is that a slip, you have a driver – be careful some might think your an elitist. Just joking, your one of my favorites and I was so glad to see you get back on in the morning. Sounds like you will have a good program – looking forward to hearing Alan West. I think he would make the best VP Candidate for whoever gets the nomination. And whats wrong with Devo?

March 6, 2012 at 6:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Rosa Washington

Hola from Key West, Soledad! Wow, your blog is a perfect example of the emotions experienced by most working Moms, especially when you are working in an environment dominated by single young people with minimal responsibilities. Thanks for sharing, and Kudos for your efforts in continuing to educate America about the valuable contributions of minorities to this country. Also, please continue to ask the hard questions, the ones that make politician's skin crawl. Keep fighting the good fight! God bless!

March 6, 2012 at 6:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Gary

Sorry to hear about your Daughter, I hope she feels better. Please tell every one its President Obama, not Mr. Obama or what ever. Please tell all at CNN he is the President of the United States. They call retired Gov. and Congra. with the retired mane but always forget to say President Obama.

March 6, 2012 at 6:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kristie

Thank you for saying this Gary! I think its truly despicable how President Obama is so disrespected.

March 6, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse | Reply