Coming up Wednesday

Wildfires burn through Colorado causing thousands to evacuate, and protests in Turkey are in 13th day. Tune in at 7am ET.
October 12th, 2012

Soledad tells CNN contributor Erick Erickson he's 'lost his mind' in criticizing VP debate moderator Martha Raddatz

This morning on "Starting Point," Soledad O'Brien interviews CNN contributor and Redstate.com editor-in-chief Erick Erickson on his reaction to the first and only vice presidential debate of the 2012 race.

Soledad mentions a tweet Erickson published during the debate, claiming debate moderator Martha Raddatz did an 'atrocious' job reigning in the candidates.

"I absolutely think she did," Erickson says.

"I think you've lost your mind," Soledad counters.

"I think you're a journalists and journalists are going to give her cover. I thought she was horrible," Erickson adds.

Soledad says for her, "a moderator who let's them go at it each other a little bit so you can get the argument but then jumps in and moves it to the right direction that's very helpful as someone who was just watching. I got to watch it in the hall. Why do you disagree?"

Erickson says he believes Raddatz only interrupted when Rep. Paul Ryan was speaking and not when Vice President Joe Biden was speaking. He also argues that the debate was too foreign policy based, which leaned on Raddatz's experience as a journalist. "I just think moderators shouldn't make the focus of the debate their wheel-house," he says.

"I think with Jim Lehrer, at least he got out of the way and let them talk," Erickson adds. "With Jim Lehrer, I thought he was asleep for most of the debate but wound up being substantive. I haven't been impressed with the moderators so far this year. But Candy Crowley will hit it out of the park, I guarantee."

Filed under: 2012 Race • Politics
  1. B berg

You are trying to censor criticism of Soledad for her bias and unprofessional journalism. Unlike Murrow and Lippmann be lacks both objectivity and integrity. Her bias for Obama is so blatant she should be ashamed. For folks who missed Nixon she is a symbol of arrogance and absence of integrity all should find objectionable. CNN are you trying to over up her bias?

October 16, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Janine

If Soledad ever returns to becoming an unbiased reporter, please let me know so I can watch CNN in the morning again.
    Thanks-
    An Independent voter, who used to believe that CNN had the "real" fair and balanced news.

October 15, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Mark from Boston

Good morning, Soledad.

I normally don't comment on many blogs, but the systemic vitriol being passed off as journalism in our society is overwhelming. Is this what our society has become? Or, has journalism degenerated to promoting divisiveness in order to compete with the likes of Jersey Shore and Honey Boo Boo? I'm old enough to remember my grandmother being able to watch "the news" or read the newspaper without getting some ideological sensationalism to promote ratings. I think you are the model of a woman, intelligent, professional and beautiful. However, the downright nastiness in these local and national campaigns have soured me so that I believe it's time I find and RSS feed to inform me each morning.

Americans are more alike than we are different. I look forward to the day where promoting that sells advertisements..

Sick of the nonsense.
    Mark, Boston, Mass

October 15, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Richard

Who cares ?

October 14, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Karloff

Well, Soledad O'Brien has lost her mind by defending Raddatz's performance. Raddatz was clearly favoring Biden, although she called him out on several (but not all) questionable points. The left is getting lost in its own delusions.

October 14, 2012 at 6:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Michigan Patriot

Soledad O'Brien needs to have her head examined. She is another Obama supporter that shows her true colors, and she is not a real journalist. She always defend all her democrat friends, and that's why I don't watch CNN anymore, especially her program.

October 13, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. polkovnik

Soledad had it exactly right. Erickson has lost his mind. Raddatz – the non-Lehrer – did a superb job, Listen up, Erick, moderators are supposed to, duh, MODERATE, not sit on their hindquarters and watch the clock.

October 13, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. groll

Although I don't think the moderator did a "horrible" job, I completely agree with Erickson. He stated facts that can easily be reviewed.

October 13, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Susan

I agree with Eric Erickson that Martha Raddatz did not demonstrate respectful or objective ability to moderate the debate. As the debate proceeded, she interrupted Ryan on many, many key points. I expect a higher standard from a journalist....this was pathetic

October 12, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. John

Erick Erickson is right, and Obrien is wrong as usual.

October 12, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply